Position Type: Full-time or Part-time
To provide consistent, high quality stocking and receiving services in the produce department to support the best possible experience for customers, members, and vendors. Maintain a clean, safe, attractive, and efficient department and work area. Provide support to multiple departments as needed.
- Reports To: Department Manager
- Status: Non-exempt/hourly; Full-time or Part-time
- Wage Level: Starting at $15.50/hour, range commensurate with experience
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Treat internal and external customers fairly, consistently and with respect.
- Exceed our customers’ expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all people and all diverse backgrounds and in accordance with the Co-op’s customer service standards.
- Model, provide, and ensure customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous services in a professional manner that demonstrates our cooperative advantage.
- Maintain a calm and friendly demeanor with all customers
- Inspects and receives product according to guidelines, ensuring that produce meets department standards, including following recall procedures.
- Handles damaged and spoiled products according to company policy and place items in designated areas.
- Prepares produce to include cutting, trimming, sorting, wrapping and repackaging as necessary to ensure proper presentation.
- Ensures that produce racks are properly cleaned, stocked, rotated, labeled and attractively displayed following department standards and according to priorities set by Produce Manager.
- Ensures back stock areas are organized and maintained in clean, safe and orderly condition to assist in smooth flow of product to sales floor.
- Immediately reports refrigeration and other department equipment concerns to management.
- Maintains sales floor and stockroom cleanliness to ensure the sales floor is free of debris and work areas are clean and uncluttered.
- Participates in store inventory counts as needed.
- Assists in controlling department and store expenses by adhering direction from management for budget and controlling waste.
- Perform other duties as requested by store management staff
All department staff must adhere to all policies and guidelines as laid out in the staff handbook and department level operating standards.
Responsibilities to Sustainability
Contribute to efforts at Assabet Co-op Market that support a sustainable community through: Minimizing waste by reducing and reusing materials and resources when possible; Proper recycling and composting; Water & energy conservation.
Responsibilities to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Value and support a work environment that includes people of different identities from diverse backgrounds
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present and working in assigned area for up to 3 hours without rest.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
- Open availability and ability to work morning, afternoon, evening, weekday and weekend shifts as required.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Exposure to and potential handling of fresh foods including meats and seafood.
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors at the cash register.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Familiarity with or an interest in learning about natural foods
- Prior experience working in retail or grocery store preferred
- Commitment to customer service
- Ability to manage and motivate self
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Good communication and listening skills
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment
- Follow through with assigned tasks
- Regular predictable attendance
- Language ability:
- Comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in oral or written form to staff and customers of diverse backgrounds
- Effectively present information in one-to-one and small group situations to employees and customers
- Math ability:
- Add and subtract two digit numbers
- Perform calculation using units of US currency, weight, volume and distance measurements
- Computer skills – use email, website, time clock and other work related programs proficiently
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations