Position Type: Full Time
Responsible to effectively supervise staff in center store departments to meet objectives for sales, labor and margin, while ordering and merchandising products and products and providing a consistent, high level of internal and external customer service.
- Reports To: General Manager
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Supervises: Grocery Department
- Salary Range: $45k – $50k
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Motivates center store staff to provide every customer with an exceptional shopping experience.
- Assists customers in a prompt, friendly, courteous manner.
- Offers suggestions for purchases and ways to prepare products.
- Provides every customer with an exceptional shopping experience.
- Manages inventory, in-stock position, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, expense control and other operational processes to company standards.
- Ensures department staff have tools and equipment needed to perform department tasks. Ensures department tools and equipment are maintained in working order.
- Ensures that all department areas are clean, well ordered, safe for customers and staff, and meet health standards.
- Sets stocking priorities to ensure shelves are fully stocked and rotated for freshness. Stocks as needed.
- Ensures that unsellable items are returned or otherwise properly disposed of, following established procedures.
- Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures, notify GM or Manager on Duty of potential malfunctions.
- Follow established procedures for handling equipment breakdowns. Advises GM of equipment problems/needs.
- Actively works to motivate the center store team: lead regular huddles and meetings, ensure department communication is efficient and effective, and support all team members in achieving department goals.
- Set performance, productivity, and service standards for all department staff; coach and correct employees as needed to ensure department standards are met.
- Continually evaluate department conditions, operations, and performance for improvement opportunities.
- Leads grocery department in periodic inventory counts.
- Works with the GM to ensure grocery department product and purchasing strategies are aligned with Co-op strategic goals.
- Evaluates suppliers, products, and broker offerings to ensure that the Co-op product selection is always interesting and relevant to our shoppers’ desires.
- Ensures product orders are sufficient to meet department in-stock minimums. Develop alternative strategies for in-stock levels when necessary.
- Receives orders and obtains credits following established procedures.
- Keeps accurate shrinkage records for grocery products.
- Negotiates with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality and delivery of products.
- Reviews departmental financial reports with GM and takes corrective action as needed.
- Plans displays based on projected sales volumes and promotions.
- Ensures all promotional displays are exciting and engaging for shoppers.
- Ensures current, accurate prices are in scanning system.
- Ensure department price & informational signage is accurate and timely.
- Assist with development and execution of grocery department promotions, in coordination with GM and Marketing Team.
- Hire, develop, and train talented employees.
- Provide on-the-job training. Follow-up with employees to evaluate their learning process experience.
- Supervise department staff in day-to-day operations.
- Maintain communication with employees through regular meetings and correspondence.
- Demonstrate leadership by providing honest feedback, coaching, mentoring and recognition.
- Conduct scheduled performance evaluations and pay reviews.
- Follow disciplinary action process as needed per established store policy.
- Ensure the staff is outfitted in clean, proper uniforms including hair restraint and name badges.
- Maintain a weekly employee labor schedule, ensuring hours are aligned with targeted labor cost.
- Attends department, store-wide, and org-wide meetings.
- Supervise, train and develop team members in accordance with co-op policies and procedures.
- Evaluates department conditions and operations to determine strengths and areas for improvement; reinforce strengths while developing and implementing improved practices and procedures.
- Ensures company standards for safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation and productivity are maintained.
- Work with GM to develop annual strategic & tactical plans for the department.
- Works with GM in setting sales, margin, and labor goals for department.
- Visits other stores in the market for price comparisons, product and merchandising ideas. Reads trade journals to keep abreast of developments in industry.
Other responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager
Responsibilities to Sustainability
Contribute to efforts at Assabet Co-op Market that support a sustainable community through: Minimizing waste by reducing and reusing materials and resources when possible; Proper recycling and composting; Water & energy conservation.
Responsibilities to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Value and support a work environment that includes people of different identities from diverse backgrounds.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 75 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present in assigned work area for up to 3 hours without rest
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Exposure to and potential handling of fresh foods including meats and seafood.
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors at the cash register.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Approximately five years of experience in the retail grocery industry, including at least three years of progressive purchasing & management experience. Other combinations of retail, natural foods experience, and management experience will be considered.
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to work as part of a team; ability to communicate effectively with customers.
- Excellent leadership skills with demonstrated abilities to resolve problems and to understand and support the importance of structure, organization, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in analysis of financial reports.
- Knowledge and familiarity of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, & Outlook)
- Experience using electronic inventory & Point of Sale Software (ECRS Catapult preferred).
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures, work without direct supervision on a variety of tasks simultaneously, and delegate tasks and objectives to subordinates.
- Ability to visually examine products for quality and freshness.
- Knowledge of natural foods industry preferred.