Position Type: Full Time
General Manager for Community-Owned Grocery Store
Come develop and lead a team to build a community-owned, full-service grocery store serving the Boston Metro West region. The Assabet Co-op Market (ACM), soon to be launched in Maynard, MA, seeks a General Manager (GM) who can manage a complex organization and continue to build and nurture the strong community of people who are excited to get our food co-op up and running.
The ACM is the only co-op in the area. Our community includes an active Board, over 1,300 invested owners from 40 towns, testimony to the need for locally sourced products. We have acquired an 8,000-SF newly renovated building and anticipate having a staff of 30 employees.
We are looking for someone with a minimum of five years of grocery management experience who has proven business skills and a strong commitment to creating relationships with local farmers, procuring local products, and creating and supporting a thriving staff and co-op community. Co-op experience is strongly preferred but not required. We do seek someone committed to the values and processes of a co-op.
Our mission is to support the regional food system; strengthen the local economy; promote the well-being of our Members, our community, and the environment; and be a center of community activity. Promoting health in our community by working with farmers to provide locally grown and raised food that shoppers want, delivered in a sustainable and socially responsible manner will be central to the GM’s role.
The General Manager reports to the co-op Board, which is elected by the co-op’s members. The Board defines the expectations of the General Manager with the authority to hire, direct, structure, and evaluate hired and volunteer staff.
Major areas of responsibility include the following:
- Financial and Planning
- Board Relations
- Member and Community Relations
- At least five years of successful grocery store experience in a management role
- A strategic view of the organization with operational expertise and command of the wide range of work required to build a successful co-op business
- Extensive experience in financial management and business planning, and the ability to draw on these skills in new situations
- A strong track record of empowering talent and potential in a wide range of people, from the current Co-op volunteers, to the additional members ready to jump in, to the new staff
- Ability to build teams and hold staff as well as volunteers accountable in a way that builds trust and commitment
- Strong communication skills that will be used to work with staff, volunteers, customers, and the Board
- Strong commitment to the vision, values and structure of the Co-op
- Experience with a start-up that can move our Co-op through its opening into a time of settled, creative existence
- Confidence, passion, and a leadership style that energizes participation and collaboration
- Ability to communicate openly with the Board and provide a shared vision with clear metrics for success
- A desire to address complex issues collaboratively with Board, leaders, and staff
For a more detailed job description, click here. Interested candidates are invited to e-mail a cover letter and a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the “Apply Now” form below. This position will be open until filled with a desired start date of Fall 2020.
NOTICE: The job duties, responsibilities, skills, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations or the work environment change. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Assabet Co-op Market is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate in employment.