Front End Staff Lead
Position Type: Full-time or Part-time
The front end staff are responsible for each customer having an exceptional experience throughout their transaction at the register and while at the front end of the store. Through coordination by front end management, this position may also be responsible for general sales floor and front end cleanliness and organization to ensure customers have an extraordinary shopping experience at the Co-op. Function as a Manager on Duty when scheduled for MOD shifts or as needed in the absence of the department manager.
- Reports To: Department Manager
- Status: Non-exempt/hourly; Full-time or Part-time
- Wage Level: Starting at $16.75/hour, range commensurate with experience
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Treat internal and external customers fairly, consistently and with respect.
- Exceed our customers’ expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all people and all diverse backgrounds and in accordance with the Co-op’s customer service standards.
- Model, provide, and ensure customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous services in a professional manner that demonstrates our cooperative advantage.
- Maintain a calm and friendly demeanor with all customers
- As directed by the department manager or when the manager is absent from the department, lead the department operations and set daily priorities for team.
- Check out customer purchases quickly and accurately, using correct prices, PLU’s and
- Prioritize register work and lane maintenance unless otherwise
- Call for back-up as needed so that customers wait as little as possible to be checked
- Load customer purchases into bags with efficiency and care, and help customers transport their purchases to their vehicle when support is needed.
- Assist customers with special order pickups.
- Explain and promote membership and receive membership payments.
- Close out registers following established procedures.
- Maintain cleanliness of the sales floor and grounds at the direction of store management.
- Ensure that supplies are well-stocked throughout the front end.
- Check prices, clean spills, restock items, and perform other duties as needed.
- Return carts and containers to their proper locations in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintain accurate and attractive signage throughout the front end.
- Alert Manager on Duty to potential shoplifters, disorderly customers or other
- Participates in store inventory counts as needed.
- Perform other duties as requested by store management staff
Manager on Duty (as needed or when scheduled)
- The Manager on Duty will be a designated key carrier for the co-op and will be trained to open and close the store as needed.
- Provide support to all departments to ensure store security, prompt and friendly customer service and a safe working environment for staff.
- Review and monitor the physical appearance of the store and do whatever is necessary to maintain smooth and cohesive store operations.
- Resolve customer concerns and complaints according to Co-op policies and procedures.
All department staff must adhere to all policies and guidelines as laid out in the staff handbook and department level operating standards.
Responsibilities to Sustainability
Contribute to efforts at Assabet Co-op Market that support a sustainable community through: Minimizing waste by reducing and reusing materials and resources when possible; Proper recycling and composting; Water & energy conservation.
Responsibilities to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Value and support a work environment that includes people of different identities from diverse backgrounds
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present and working in assigned area for up to 3 hours without rest.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
- Open availability and ability to work morning, afternoon, evening, weekday and weekend shifts as required.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
- Exposure to and potential handling of fresh foods including meats and seafood.
- Handling objects that have been handled by the public.
- Frequently performs work standing on cement floors at the cash register.
- May work occasionally in temperature extremes (walk-in freezer, outside warehouse, hot kitchen, etc.).
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Familiarity with or an interest in learning about natural foods
- Prior experience working in retail or grocery store
- Commitment to customer service
- Ability to manage and motivate self and others
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Good communication and listening skills
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment and lead by example
- Follow through with assigned tasks
- Regular predictable attendance
- Language ability:
- Comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in oral or written form to staff and customers of diverse backgrounds
- Effectively present information in one-to-one and small group situations to employees and customers
- Math ability:
- Add and subtract two digit numbers
- Perform calculation using units of US currency, weight, volume and distance measurements
- Computer skills – use email, website, time clock and other work related programs proficiently
- Ability to manage difficult or emotional customer situations