Position Type: Full Time
To ensure the co-op’s financial data and compliance by maintaining accurate records on accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and daily financial entries and reconciliations. Perform daily accounting tasks such as monthly financial reporting, general ledger entries, and record payments and adjustments. Provide resources, training and other finance and HR support to management and staff.
- Reports To: General Manager
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Supervises: Finance
- Salary Level: 40k – 46k
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Ensure accurate, timely data entry for the production of monthly and quarterly financial statements
- Submit financial statement cut-off data to Retail Financial Services or CPA by agreed upon due date
- Provide weekly, monthly, quarterly reports to departments and management as requested
- Oversee all accounts payable and accounts receivable to ensure accuracy and timeliness of payments. Schedule large payments to avoid strains on cash flow.
- Analyze and maintain appropriate cash flow. Schedule large payments to avoid strains on cash flow.
- Oversee bank deposits and enter daily cash receipts to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Submit quarterly data to CoMetrics, and weekly sales and monitoring reports (if necessary) to NCG.
- Research and make recommendations to discontinue, add or suggest employee benefit programs.
Record Keeping and Reporting
- Maintain and secure employee documents and personnel files to ensure confidentiality and compliance with all state and federal employment laws.
- Maintain separate records regarding non-performance related issues: medical, workers comp, unemployment, background checks and wage garnishments.
- Manage the staff time-keeping system, process bi-weekly payroll and file payroll taxes
- Maintain up to date job descriptions, evaluation forms and interview questions.
- Ensure that accurate staff data is included in the monthly staff newsletter.
- Complete annual staff treatment and policy governance reporting for HR as requested by GM.
- Ensure all employee injuries are reported to worker’s compensation carrier. Follow up with injured worker as necessary.
- Prepare and distribute personnel reports as requested
- Communicates honestly, openly and respectfully with everyone in the organization.
- Communications are clear; ensure that they have been understood.
- Stays informed by consistently reading and responding to all forms of communication from others; emails, time clock messages, texts, log books.
- Communicates needs promptly and efficiently.
- Resolves conflicts promptly; asks for assistance as needed.
- Able to lead aspects of the finance department, based on organizational standards and goals.
- Ensure departmental plans and goals are implemented.
- Attend, and participate fully in, all regularly scheduled meetings.
- Treat management, supervisors and staff with consistency and fairness, in a style appropriate to a cooperative environment.
- Adhere to and enforce all conditions of employment in compliance with federal and state laws and the personnel policy manual.
- Take frequent opportunities to notice good work, using positive reinforcement.
- Take initiative to identify and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Minimize absences and be punctual.
- Maintain positive relationships with outside professionals.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
Other responsibilities as assigned by the General Manager
Responsibilities to Sustainability
Contribute to efforts at Assabet Co-op Market that support a sustainable community through: Minimizing waste by reducing and reusing materials and resources when possible; Proper recycling and composting; Water & energy conservation.
Responsibilities to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Value and support a work environment that includes people of different identities from diverse backgrounds.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical requirements described here are those that an employee must meet, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to use computer keyboard, monitor, mouse, telephone, and various office equipment continuously.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds frequently.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to be present and working in assigned area for up to 3 hours without rest.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, kneel, climb stairs or ladder.
- Ability to reach above shoulder height occasionally.
- Ability to talk and hear to communicate with customers.
- Finger and hand dexterity with ability to grasp and hold items of different sizes.
- Vision ability – close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read register screen and product and shelf labels.
The work environment described here is representative of the conditions an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Working conditions are essentially those of sedentary work. Tasks may require extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Noise level in the store is usually moderate to loud.
- Occasional exposure to cold, hot, wet or humid conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, airborne particles, hazardous materials ranging from natural to chemical (store products, cleaning products, scents from working in a public setting).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 2+ years previous human resources, payroll experience, and bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting systems. Quickbooks Online experience preferred.
- Ability to develop and implement budgets and to adhere to cost and margin requirements.
- Ability to plan, develop and implement efficient, productive and cost-efficient systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all areas.
- Accept direction willingly.
- Ability to work independently yet exercise good judgment to ask for guidance when needed
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Follow through with tasks.
- Demonstrated objectivity, neutrality and calmness under pressure.
- Functional ability to use Microsoft Office Suite products: Excel, Word, Power Point.
- Knowledge of the natural foods industry.
- Commitment to superior customer service.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment.
- Knowledge of HRIS/Payroll systems a plus.
- Ability to supervise, manage and motivate self and staff a plus.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all areas.